How to remove paint from door for repainting?

+2
  • Barbara Barbara on Jan 27, 2019

Depends on what type of door it is....I just completely redid 2 rusted (horrible looking!!) steel doors on the exterior of my home. I used an orbital hand sander with low grit sandpaper, then moved up with higher grit (used 40, then 80, then 120, then 240) and sanded everything off -- down to the bare metal. Then I sprayed 2 coats of Rustoleum primer. After that, I rolled & brushed 2 coats of Behr paint that is made for exterior applications (bought at Home Depot). The 2 doors look BRAND NEW. I am amazed -- we were thinking of replacing these doors because we didn't think they could be salvaged (they were that bad)......It took me 2 weekends to finish the 2 doors, and I spent about $50.00 for sandpaper and paint. It was well worth the effort -- saved us over $1,500 !!

• Dwp7470b Dwp7470b on Jan 27, 2019

Remove the Hardware First. Then any Paint Remover will work better as You can lie it down Flat

• Jayakumar Jayakumar on Jan 27, 2019

Got it. Thanks

• Natalie Natalie on Jan 28, 2019

Here is a tutorial on how to strip off paint from wood https://www.arayofsunlight.com/2018/10/remove-paint-from-wood-furniture.html