I want to paint a dark wooden shelf in peach & make it look old. How?

Chalk paint would require 3 different colors to get peach which is pricey. Crackle paint is not easy to do and not sure if it will come out. Looking for other cheaper ways to get the effect I want.

• Gk Gk on Jun 27, 2018
    As long as the shelf is already dark you could just get a small sample jar of peach paint (wall paint) from places like Lowes and Home Depot and dry brush the peach on and then distress lightly by sanding until you are happy. I definitely think you could make your shelf look old this way. Or there are smaller amounts of chalk paint you can buy--Hobby Lobby, WalMart, JoAnn Fabrics--and may more--sell smaller bottles of chalk paint that are not as costly as buying a quart of chalk paint. You might be pleasantly surprised to find out that your project may not cost as much as you think.

• Sharon Sharon on Jun 27, 2018
    Crackle paint is real easy to do, just paint the base the color you want to peak through the cracks, and then your crackle medium, and then put your top color on while crackle is still damp. You can use any paint, personally I like satin finish as its easier to clean. Here is one crackle with elmer's glue.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_wH-xpfCM0

• Diana Dohr Diana Dohr on Jun 28, 2018
    Hi, you can make your own chalk paint in any color you want. It’s 1/3 cup plaster of paris mix with 1/3 cup warm water. Stir till dissolved then add one cup of flat latex paint. Mix and paint using a brush by Purdy. Can find all supplies at HD or Lowe’s. May take 2 coats. If you don’t want to crackle all over spread a thin coat of Vasoline on where you want it to crackle before you paint. To protect finish with Polycrylic usually 2 coats. I have done many pieces of furniture and kitchen cabinets this way. It last and cleans well. Have fun but be aware once you start you’ll want to paint every thing.