Is there a food safe stain?

+6
I am going to put an unfinished butcher block for my kitchen counters made from Heva, a rubber tree. It is unfinished and I would like to stain it. The color is a bit light for me. But since I will also use it to cut food, I want to make sure staining it will be safe.
  • William William on Jun 02, 2017
    No food safe stain. Use mineral oil to seal it. Its food safe.

• Susan Bechamp Susan Bechamp on Jun 03, 2017
    To prevent moisture damage around the sink, do not use an under mount sink. The end grain of wood won't absorb the sealer as evenly as the surface of the counter will. Water has a greater chance of getting into the wood at the end grain, causing damage . Choose a surface mounted sink and be sure to keep up with maintenance to extend the life of your counter. (Re-apply the mineral oil frequently, use trivets and hot pads and don't allow wet surfaces to stand unattended. Clean with vinegar and water to disinfect as needed).

• Gma Kirk Gma Kirk on Jun 04, 2017
    Waterlox is what I used on my rubberwood counters. I love it. It isn't a deep stain but it did darken the counter somewhat. It is much more durable/less maintenance than mineral oil, is safe for food prep and repels water. It's available on Amazon.

• Gma Kirk Gma Kirk on Jun 05, 2017
    Finally found the before/after pics.

• Jackie Sanzone Jackie Sanzone on Jun 05, 2017
    Beautiful!! And just the shade I was looking for

• Gma Kirk Gma Kirk on Jul 08, 2017
    here is what I ordered from Amazon. It's technically clear/no stain but it does make the wood a bit more golden