How do I pick pick interior paint colors?

+2

I’ve asked some painting questions in the past and both times been advised to “ gift myself an interior designer for a couple of hours”. After researching the COST of that option, I am not able to pay for help with choosing interior paint colors for my house.Sad, but oh so true!! Any suggestions how to find help without spending my paint budget?

• Karen Brunck Karen Brunck on Dec 30, 2018

Hi Laura. Look around the house for the main color in all of your large furnishings for each room. Now decide the mood you want in each room. Do you want your furnishings to blend in or pop? What is your absolute favorite color? Head on over to any paint store and pick your color cards containing your favorite color. Go either lighter and brighter to keep a happy tone and pop the furniture. Deeper and darker for some drama. Neutral color and tones to blend the furniture to keep it calmer and more monochromatic. There really is no wrong colors, it just depends on what mood you are trying to create. A few accessories matching your paint colors bring it all together.

• Jeanette S Jeanette S on Dec 30, 2018

Laura,

Here are some tips.

First, decide on a color scheme. Look at your furniture and decide if you need to add color or tone it down a little. For instance, if you have a black sofa, you might now want to use a grey...dull! If you have a multi colored plaid sofa, you may want a neutral color.

Also, colors tend to be darker and sharper (brighter or duller) after they are on the wall. A pastel blue may become electric when you finish painting. Or that light blue may be dull if you don't have a lot of windows.

Of course a lot of people have no sense of tone, shade, or matching colors, so neutrals on the walls and add color with pillows, throws, furniture or rugs works. It is much easier to return and swap a rug than repaint!

Keep in mind that you can place a rug over carpet. And when placing rugs on wood floors, anchor them with furniture rather than putting down a non-slip pad. I personally love over-sized rugs.

Here are a couple of photos showing light, neutral paint with color in rugs and furniture, as well as using large rugs and using furniture to anchor rugs. (Pardon the clutter, I am just now on my second cup of coffee!!)

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Dec 30, 2018

Neutrals are your best option. Once you narrow it down buy samples and paint a section of the wall about 3 feet square. Live with it a week or two and pick which you like best.

• Lina Splichal Lina Splichal on Dec 31, 2018

Laura, I always start with the a color scheme. I love dark greens and pale coral colors, I also like bright primary colors. The only color I never care to use is blue. If left up to my husband, everything would be brown, tan and blue. With that information in mind . . .

When we redid our family room I chose a "forest" theme because we have a huge built in red brick fireplace. We put in wainscoting, a light airy feeling wallpaper with cream/burgundy/green tones, white ceiling tiles (could have painted light blue, but, you know), green tiles by the outdoor entries and tan carpeting (I wanted green but finally gave in). Our trim is painted dark green and 10 years later I still love the room.

When we redid our kitchen my husband wanted oak cabinets and stainless appliances. With that in mind we extended the wood flooring from our dining room into the kitchen and coordinated the cupboard stain with the floor. We put up deep brown bamboo style Russian shades and a cream tile backsplash with Mexican accent tiles in red/green/blue/yellow.

Our bedroom is in pale coral and our bathroom is pale coral with dark green and gold plumbing.

My craft room is pastel rainbow colors and my oldest son's room is black and white.

So, to pick colors for yourself, think of colors you like, how you want the room to look when you are done, how you want to feel when you are in the room, and preferences of the other people sharing your house. Think of any collections or memorabilia you may want to use or display and make your choices around that.

I also suggest you pick up color cards from the paint store and tape them to your walls to firm up your decisions. One friend I have buys pints of colors she is considering and paints swatches on her walls to make the final decision. You could use craft paper or foam board instead if you are uncomfortable testing directly on your walls.

Good luck. I hope the suggestions you have been given help you get started.

• Rosa B Rosa B on Dec 31, 2018

Pick out your favorite colors and figure out which room you would like it in the most. As long as your are happy with it, don't worry about other people and their opinions. They are not living with them you are. As long as you are happy that is all that counts. Happy New Year to you and yours.