Need to know how to remove painted over metallic wallpaper.

+11
The wallpaper may be from 1969. It was painted over about 20 years ago. There are wrinkles in the wallpaper that having been bothering me for a very long time and I would really like to get rid of them, finally.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 10, 2017
    Hi Fanny, what you'll need first is called a "tiger". It will help make scratches in the paint & paper. Then you can steam or hot water to soak it until it comes off. The tiger helps the moisture get behind the old wallpaper and that helps. I also read where someone added fabric softener to the hot water and said it really helped. Wishing you the best.

• Rose/Miros Rose/Miros on Dec 10, 2017
    The usual solution for painted wallpaper is to rent a steamer, but I've never used it on metallic. Also make sure your outlet can supply the needed power.

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Dec 10, 2017
    Such a big job and I don't understand why anyone would paint over wallpaper (lazy, I guess). Spray down the walls with the hottest water possible, then scrape off with a putty knife. We actually put 1/4" drywall over some really bad wallpaper walls instead of removing it. Good Luck!

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 10, 2017
    It sounds like you're going to have to score the paper before applying steam. That way the steam can work it loose.

• Terry Terry on Dec 10, 2017
    very carefully.... if it was a newly built home and came with the wallpaper, chances are it was pasted to the wallboard.... all the edges and nails might be exposed once the wallpaper is removed; you may need to look into some type of wall preparation before you paint. Check it out in an inconspicuous spot. If it looks OK, steam & some elbow grease is your best bet for removing the wallpaper. Also, depending on the wallpaper, you might even be able to use a spray bottle of water.... spray an area. let it sit a minute and pull it off.