Sealing metallic spray paint

I have spray painted a wooden box with metallic silver paint. Even when dried and cured for several days, the paint still transfers to my hands when I handle the box, not to mention that every touch leaves a mark. I tried using a clear sealant on it, but that turned the paint into a dull grey, looking almost like primer. How can I retain the beautiful silver and lose the paint transfer and marks?
  • William William on Sep 29, 2016
    Rustoleum consumer line suggest wiping down with a damp cloth. They said with metallic paints some tiny little flakes stand up rather than laying flat against the surface, and those are the ones causing the problem. An overspray of a very light mist of the particles that just settled on the top of the finish and did not get down into the already accepted finish sprays. This can happen with spray metals. You just want to make sure the *Actual Paint* job is sound and intact and I would take a very soft microfiber dry cloth first to wipe away the fine mist overspray and if all was not removed I would use a very soft (lightly damp) cloth to softly wipe away. Also, Metallic paints take longer to cure. They suggest waiting 24 hours between coats.
  • Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Sep 29, 2016
    Sometimes a primer is necessary before the paint goes on - there are several brands of primer that come in spray paint that could still be used. Sand off what you have done and apply the primer, then try to metallic spray again.
  • Don Don on Sep 30, 2016
    Best bet, contact the maker of the paint you used and seek suggestions. Metallic paint is very difficult to dry and can take weeks if at all. Definitely affected by ambient humidity. I have had my problems with this also. I have had some success with Testors Clear Coat (It is designed for model airplanes/cars). It comes in flat, satin and gloss. They are small cans so it will not go a long way but, if your box is not too large. Use several light coats and allow it to dry between. Shake can frequently. As I say, some success because 1 out of 5 still turns that ugly gray. I have not tried it but, Metallic Masters Top Coat sounds promising...good luck.
  • Saba zafar Saba zafar on Jul 27, 2020

I make tire wood table and I use wood on it I use metallic spray paint on it but it's not like finishing n shine if I put some thing on it it have a mark can I spray any sealer or primer on it plz let me know which is good