Tips to Stain my cabinets ?

+3
There is a product at home depot that i was thinking about getting. Its a all in 1 kit for about 70 dollars. Not sure if that the best way to go. It requires no sanding. Its called Rust-Oleum Transformation Kit. for cabinets.

• Cindy Cindy on Jun 15, 2018
    I have never worked with this product, but I HAVE worked with a much less expensive alternative. When my ex-husband and I redid our kitchen, he did not want to paint the cabinets because they were oak (orange 80's oak to be exact). I told him he had 2 choices - $50 for paint or $20k to replace. He chose the paint. All we did was give them a coat of Gripper primer (no sanding - just a good scrub down), and two coats of Behr cabinet paint. We then did the antique glaze and 2 coats of water-based poly. We no longer have the house, but the cabinets turned out beautifully and held up great.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Jun 15, 2018
    I have used the kit on various chests of drawers and they came out nicely. Follow the instructions and you will be happy with the results. The kit has a sanding and cleaning agent in it to start.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 15, 2018
    I have heard from others that the kit works really well. It also sounds like it is durable for quite a while.

• Jlnatty Jlnatty on Jun 15, 2018
    There are plenty of online reviews of this product and similar ones that people have had mixed success with. As per usual, preparation before putting the product on and exactly following directions as given on the product are key to producing a good result. Good luck.

• Janice Janice on Jun 15, 2018
    A friend of mine used the Rustoleum product on her cabinets. Though it takes no sanding, the preparation is quite time-consuming and not as quick as you might think. Her cabinets are okay, but she said it was more labor intensive than she was planning on. Here's a link to the Rustoleum Transformations site....might be good to watch it completely before making the commitment to redo your cabinets. You can likely do the same process using products not in a kit. Not to be discouraging, but it IS a lot of work.

• Gk Gk on Jun 15, 2018
    For half the price you can buy a can of acrylic latex paint in an enamel finish. This kind of paint is made specifically for cabinets. You can sand lightly, prime, and then paint. Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore have this paint--watch for sales to get a good bargain--and their paint gets good reviews. You can also check at Home Depot--I have not bought an enamel paint there but I am sure it is available. I used SW on my kitchen 4 years ago and it still looks like new. You do NOT need to poly over this. Using this acrylic latex enamel paint means less steps than the Rustoleum kit. My son purchased a house that had a kitchen redo with this Rustoleum kit. I was NOT impressed. There was wear around the cabinet knobs and across the top of some frequently used cabinet doors and the paint was less than a year old. It was hard to repair/reapply because you had to go through the steps.