Trying watercolors- what kind of paint?

+2
Will children's cheapo paints hold up? Or should I invest in the real kind?

• Rowgop (Pam) Rowgop (Pam) on Jun 18, 2018
    What are using the watercolors for just for kids to paint with, or something different

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 18, 2018
    You could start with pan dip watercolors there certainly all grades in this pan type watercolor that you add water to. Some actually pretty good- I actually prefer it to the tubes. I think the difference would be in the paint color intensity and depth. Certainly an art store option would be better than the dollar store offering.

Pay attention to your paper though and good quality paper is important in quite often the watercolor paper is a very expensive component of the project.

That in the framing can get quite expensive. My tip there is to check out consignment shops and thrift stores for frames to repurpose. Personally I’m always looking for the nonglare glass that is quite special to have. I often repurpose frames and create art for that particular frame.

Best wishes in your artistic adventures!

• Kathy Kathy on Jun 18, 2018
      Thank you Vimarhonor! I am somewhat crafty but not artistic... I was given 5 quality oak frames 8X10 (which I've already painted with cream chalk paint) I'd like to hang them on the hallway wall but didn't want to spend $ on art and I didn't want photos. So I thought I'd TRY watercolor flowers. I have the proper paper but only dollar store paints. (I'm home from work with a cold so rather not go out) I'll give it a try!

• Georgette Jensen Georgette Jensen on Jun 18, 2018
    i use craft paint for everything. Inside and outside.

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jun 18, 2018
    If it does not work for you - try photo copying ( of course non-copyrighted) works off the internet. They can be enlarged and printed in color. Look like the real thing. Even a postcard with an picture it can be made to size.
    And look in thrift shops - lots of yet to be discovered works for a few dollars (or even lass) each.