Varnish/cover/stain for nicked woodwork?

Our walls are paneled with wood quarter rounds and sills, etc. Through the years (and three kids) many little nicks and scrapes have been inflicted. Is there anything that can be painted over to even out the color, cover the nicks, and provide a varnish protection without taking apart the whole house woodwork?

  8 answers
  • Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Dec 10, 2017
    I would advise using Old English Oil. I don't know what I'd do without it. I keep a bottle of the dark and a bottle of the light at all times.

  • Inetia Inetia on Dec 10, 2017
    This is a link to scratch cover pens in multiple colors .

  • Kauai Breeze Kauai Breeze on Dec 10, 2017
    Scratches can usually be smoothed with a little elbow grease and fine sandpaper. Nicks that are deeper can be filled with wood putty, then when dry sand it smooth and repaint the woodwork. Wood putty covers a multitude of mishaps on wood surfaces!

  • Shuganne Shuganne on Dec 10, 2017
    If it's a dented nick, you could try steaming the dent out. Put a damp terry cloth over it and press into it with a low/medium heated iron. It will swell the wood back (close to) its original

  • DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 10, 2017
    I use Old English furniture polish to cover up nicks in wood work and furniture. It comes in light or dark wood. It totally makes scratches and nicks invisible

  • William William on Dec 10, 2017
    Use Minwax Blend-Fil pencils to fill in the nicks. Use Minwax Stain Markers to cover the scratches. Come in all wood tones.

  • Peter Peter on Dec 11, 2017
    I'm for the Minwax sicks, but all these are fair- to- good suggestions. If the quarter rounds are really offensively damaged, replace Only them... I think that's what grabs the eye and Highlights the fact there's damage.

  • 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 11, 2017
    Sand well or replace. That's what I'm doing bit by bit in my old house.