What can I do to darkened this kitchen floor?

+11
I am tired of my ugly kitchen/ dining floor which was installed less that 5 years ago....I want to paint it but not with stencils....any suggestions?
q what can i do to darkened this kitchen floor
Ugly,boring but in very good shape..
  • Suelane Suelane on Jun 22, 2018
    HI, is it the grout color you don't like or the tile color itself? Is the finish of the tiles porous or is there a finish on top? That will make a difference as to what you could use paint-wise but paint may not survive heavy wear and tear. Do you have any left over tiles from when you got it installed? You could practice on that. A good primer and preparation are always a good idea. If you are looking for a design/pattern to replicate (once you know if the paint will adhere) check Pinterest or even coloring book pages for easy to paint/draw designs. Good luck.

• Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom on Jun 22, 2018
    The tiles look like a nice neutral color, what about just changing the grout color? It would give it a completely different look and be very in expensive too. We just painted the grout in our bathroom and were amazed at how easy it was and what a difference it made.

• See 1 previous
    • Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom on Jun 23, 2018
      It was so easy! Our home depot carried a product called Polyblend Grout Renew. You choose your color from their selection and it's all ready to go in the bottle. I poured some onto an old plastic lid and with a soft bristle toothbrush, rub the product over your grout and wipe up the excess with a cloth. It's a colorant and sealant all in one. I'm so happy with how it turned out!

• Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Jun 22, 2018
    I found this video that pretty well covers it all. This girl painted her tile (those videos are included), tells you the paint she used, then gives a nice explanation of how the paint has held up. I hope this helps you.

• Rov4297114 Rov4297114 on Jun 23, 2018
    timI painted the grout few years ago also. It was a cream color originally...I also applied a shine product on it twice already but it comes out after several weeks leaving peeled areas.

• Rov4297114 Rov4297114 on Jun 23, 2018
    Thank you for the hints!

• Starr Wilson Starr Wilson on Jun 23, 2018
    Just remember if you go darker your rooms will look smaller.

• Chrissy Chrissy on Jun 24, 2018
    Hi ,
    First you would need to prep the floor.
    Possibly an acid wash , hlidden makes a really good primer. (Gripper comes in white and gray )
    then paint away. Also need to seal with Polyurethane. ( I have seen some beautiful floor transformations from painting a single color).
    Good luck.

• B. Enne B. Enne on Jul 13, 2018
    IMO I would try this first. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    https://www.hometalk.com/37897921/refresh-grout-for-under-10

• Barbara Barbara on Jul 13, 2018
    I recently changed all my floors to dark wood--beautiful but shows every speck of dust. Minimal use--just me and a dog that doesn' t she'd. Wish I had chose a lighter option.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jul 14, 2018

Barbara has a good point about darker floor showing every bit of flour, sugar, cereal, bread crumbs, etc. It's not practical for a kitchen.