How do I remove paint on wrought iron balconies?


the wrought iron balconies are very ornate because of its curly cues. In another area on the balcony the wrought iron has split. Is this a welding procedure and do I need to get a professional welder?

  5 answers
  • You can try Citristrip. And yes, I would get a welder to repair just for safety reasons.

  • Judy Judy on Jan 09, 2019

    Hi Arlene. Years ago I did my iron gates. They trusted and had designs.

    May husband gave me a wire brush on his drill for removing paint. It worked like a charm removing the crevices.

    Good luck with your project.

    • See 1 previous
    • Judy Judy on Jan 12, 2019

      Still great! So me I spent a lot of time to get all the rust it’s been 20+ years and only repainted them once since then just because I wanted to change color.

      As far as a split in the iron I have no clue. Except a licensed welder.

  • Betsy Betsy on Jan 11, 2019

    Hi Arlene: I agree that Citristrip is just about the best stripper out there. It gets in cracks and crevices and curly places. Just put it on, wait the required time and use a stiff brush to take it off. As for the rusted through part, yeah, I think you have to get someone out to fix that. However, I'm not sure a 'professional' is needed, just someone who can weld the area. You may be able to find someone at the local high school if they have a VoTech area, or even someone at the local garage (if they can't do it, maybe they can recommend someone) or a neighbour who can weld. It never hurts to ask, a no is better than a missed yes! Good luck

    • See 1 previous
    • Think twice about the "professional" welder. Since this is a balcony, if anything ever happened, the homeowner is responsible. If the insurance carrier gets wind that repairs were made by some random unqualified person, it won't look good. And could deny coverage. Err on the side of caution, you don't want to make the newspaper headlines or 6 pm news for the wrong reasons.

  • Arlene, we live in CA, you know how litigious this state is. People sue at the drop of a hat. Protect yourself by hiring a licensed welder. This is a balcony, don't unnecessarily open yourself up for unwanted liability. Here is how to hire a contractor:

    And check their license here:

  • Betsy Betsy on Jan 12, 2019

    If the break is not in an area that is a physical security problem, then a professional is not needed. Anyone who can weld can fix a spot. If it's a huge area and will sustain some weight or pushing on it, then you may want someone with more experience, but if it's a small area, then I would consider the cheaper fix. Ask at the home improvement centre what they suggest.