What kind of sealer or stain is best for a deck?

I had a deck built a couple of years ago, and they said to let it go through the season before sealing it. Don't ask me why. It is just treated wood. Should I just use a water sealer on the deck or a stain? Is there a stain that can be applied and not wiped off (like you would on cabinets or furniture)? I'm a 74 year old woman and will probably have to do it myself so crawling around on my hands and knees is just not an option. I would appreciate any advice you can give as to what to buy and how to apply it.
  4 answers
  • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Jun 03, 2017
    I would suggest Thompson's Wood Sealer, after you clean it with their recommended cleaning product. It's easy. You can roll it on. Please read all labels and follow all safety precautions. Best of luck & be careful.

  • William William on Jun 03, 2017
    Treated wood needs to dry out. Waiting one season is correct. I agree with the Thompson Water Seal. Use a roller on a broomstick and no kneeling needed. It will waterproof the deck and protect it from the sun.

  • Tri2165268 Tri2165268 on Jun 04, 2017
    We used something call TWP, total wood preservative. Looks great and when it rains, the water just pools up and doesn't soak in. Here in CT we got it at Rings End Lumber, but you can google it and maybe get it online. Good Luck.

    • PGquilts PGquilts on Jun 04, 2017
      I did find this on line, but I will check at local stores also. I like that it comes in different shades. Thank You!

  • PGquilts PGquilts on Jun 04, 2017
    I'm going to shop locally and decide on one of the recommended sealer/stains -- then get started. Thanks for the good advice!