How do I whitewash and distress a large picture frame?

+2

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Mar 02, 2019

Hello,

I recently white washed and crackled frames for holiday decorating. It was an effortless project.

1- spray paint the frame (background contrast)

2- coated with crackle medium let dry per pkg directions.

3-and topciated with white acrylic ( some old wall paint I had a sample of)

Im not sure if the crackle appleals to you or not —it does all the distressing work for you. I hope this helps!

• Linda Premo Linda Premo on Mar 02, 2019

I usually just water down any white paint, dry brush it on lightly until I achieve the coverage I like, then do a bit of sanding on the edges. If you want to texturize it, mix some baking soda in water in a small plastic cup add some paint and brush it onto your frame, let it dry then sand. If you have any carving on your frame, dab into the carvings with light gray tan brown umber or gold paint (which ever you prefer to compliment your color scheme or artwork) then rub off paint with a cloth or clean paintbrush so it just remains in the deepest parts of the carving. You can seal with wax or a light coat of urethane if it gets any exposure to sun or the elements. Have fun.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Mar 02, 2019

just sand down frame more if needed to remove finish(the shinier the finish the more prep) then put on whitewash wipe back off then reapply additional coats until you get to desired look you want. Mix the Traditional whitewash.

1. Mix 2 cups of salt with 1 gallon of warm water and stir to dissolve the salt.
    2. Add 6 to 8 cups of hydrated lime to the salt water.
    3. Mix well until the lime is dissolved.
    4. The mixture should be thinner than traditional paint.

OR EASIER Simply mix white water-based paint with water to the desired consistency. A 1:3 paint-to-water ratio will give a thin, translucent coating that doesn’t need to be wiped or dry brushed. A 1:1 ratio will give a thicker coating that can be wiped or sanded for a distressed look. Use a glaze or sealer to add depth and durability to the finish. here's good info.https://www.nshoremag.com/northshore-home/6-ways-to-use-whitewash-paint-and-how-to-make-it/

• Deb K Deb K on Mar 02, 2019

Hi, use a white stain or paint, remove the glass, paint it on, then use a rag to wipe it off, repeat until desired effect is achieved.

• Homeroad Homeroad on Oct 10, 2021

I use chalk paint to paint frames. To distress the frame I use an electric sander with a fine grit sandpaper to distress the paint.