How do we paint a basement ceiling?

+1

• Bmasecar Bmasecar on Jan 02, 2019

Hi Sue, depends on whats on your ceiling now. Old 1 X 1 tiles, panels with metal rails, drywall, etc.

If you just want to repaint the existing, my best advice is to wash if washable, let dry, prime, paint whatever colour you want. If it is a suspended ceiling, metal supports and drop in tiles. I would carefully life all the tile out, number the backs so they go back in the same place. Paint the supports, paint the tiles while out of the ceiling (use a roller) and put them back when dry. You may need a thicker pile roller on 1 X 1 to make sure you get the joints.

• Sue Sue on Jan 02, 2019

Sorry I got caught up in the make it a short question. It is just an exposed wood with nails etc. Thanks for all the help so far....

• Twyla J Boyer Twyla J Boyer on Jan 03, 2019

Cover everything you don't want painted and use a paint sprayer. You will need a respirator and a tyvek suit with a hood and goggles, too. But that will be the fastest and easiest way.

I am contemplating doing that in my basement, too - even bought a paint sprayer at a yard sale for the project. The other Idea I have come up with is to staple fabric to the beams rather than painting because there's less clean up involved and it would cost about the same. (There's a non-woven fabric available from WalMart for cheap)