Can I paint over laminate particle board cabinets?

+3
  • Sara myers Sara myers on Jun 17, 2017
    Yes, but be sure to scuff it up good before you paint it.

• Swilkinson43 Swilkinson43 on Jun 17, 2017
    I would try chalk paint as it is made to paint without having to remove finishes or strip and that is something you would not want to do with particle board as it is so thin and there is not much there to work with. I think it would take the paint and after a second coat all you would need to do is wax it.

• Lora Lora on Jun 17, 2017
    I think you would want to use a primer.

• William William on Jun 17, 2017
    Make sure they are clean and dry. Use acrylic latex paint. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123. Then paint with your color. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.

• Daisy Daisy on Jun 17, 2017
    Thanks for your step by step advice.. I'm going to try this😊

• Mir Graham Mir Graham on Jun 17, 2017
    I cleaned mine then used chalk paint. I didn't sand anything, and the paint seems to be on there pretty good. I was very patient and waited a few days before putting anything back on the bookshelf I painted, and I also applied a topcoat. Hope this helps.