How can you paint over wallpaper?

+3
  • Judy Judy on Feb 04, 2019

Debbie you can pain over wall paper if it’s smooth and not loose. You may need a heavy covering primer first. Will the paper hold the weight of paint?

• Twyla J Boyer Twyla J Boyer on Feb 04, 2019

The short answer is yes. However, there are some caveats. If it is a vinyl or vinyl coated wallpaper (as most are these days, I think), you would need to use a paint with primer for it to stick well. Also, you need to make sure the wallpaper is really adhered to the wall before painting or it could end up peeling off. The seams of the wallpaper will show on painted wallpaper, pretty much no matter what you do. Painting over wallpaper is not something I would recommend, myself, though I know what a pain stripping wallpaper can be.

• In rare instances you can, typically not advisable though. Will make it much harder to remove the wallpaper when it needs to come down. Best to remove the wallpaper before painting. Scoring and steaming has always worked for me.

https://www.lowes.com/projects/paint-stain-and-wallpaper/remove-old-wallpaper/project

Any tool rental will have what you need.

• Dwp7470b Dwp7470b on Feb 04, 2019

Yes indeed you can! Try to smooth the edges (where the glue is most visible) as much as you can prior Painting.

• You can but it's not really a great way to go. The paint could cause the wallpaper to buckle, peel, or bubble which surely would be a bigger mess. It's best to remove it first for a clean, tidy painted wall appearance.

• Ginny Ginny on Feb 06, 2019

I painted over wallpaper 40+ yrs ago and ended taking it down anyway. Seams showed, it looked horrible, and I ended up hating it. Remove wallpaper if you can and begin again before resorting to painting the paper.