Do you always have to sand rod iron before painting it

+5
  • Cheri Cheri on Jun 10, 2017
    I believe it is wrought iron. !!!!!! try sand paper or steel wool. I have painted with Rustoleum, without sanding and had good results.

• Sanangeloauntneno Sanangeloauntneno on Jun 10, 2017
    I think you may mean "wrought iron" and I don not have an answer for you, Sorry. I would think that you should at least rub it down good and hard with a stiff wire brush, dust off the particles left over and then paint. We do that and it works just fine.

• Bonnie Torre Bonnie Torre on Jun 10, 2017
    Try using a wire brush - can buy at Home Depot or any paint store - get most of it off especially anything loose then paint with a Rustoleum product.

• Judy Judy on Jun 10, 2017
    I WOULD, TO BE SURE THERE IS NO DUST, OR DEBREY ON IT. J.

• C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jun 10, 2017
    If there is obvious rust, use a wire brush like you'd use brush off your BBQ grill, then steel wool. Wipe it off really well after that and you can spray paint with Rustolium that prevents further rust . Good luck !

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Jun 10, 2017
    I just did this myself. It is a good idea to sand/roughen up the previous paint and clean it first so the new paint will adhere better. I used a steel wool pad on mine and it worked great. After that I washed it off and then painted.

• Sally Wiese Sally Wiese on Jun 10, 2017
    I don't think it is for any other reason than to get the grease and grime off the metal. And hose it down to get the residue off. (and dry good) That gives it a good finish that will paint decent and hold, rather than have it run down the metal. My opinion only.

• J J on Jun 10, 2017
    Thanks