Has anyone used paintable wallpaper?

+14
I want to use paintable wallpaper embossed to look like bead board to cover my kitchen cabinet doors and I'm looking for tips on doing this. Some of my questions are: a) would an enamel paint work OK with the paper?; b) should I prime the cabinet doors? They are painted using a crackle finish and I learned that trying to remove all this paint results in the stripper lifting the laminated layer right off the door!; c) the wallpaper is pre-pasted, but is it advisable to use wallpaper paste on the surface of the cabinet door for extra assurance the paper will stay in place? d) any tips on "finishing" the paper edges to prevent lifting? Any information will be helpful! Pat in Texas
  • William William on Jun 15, 2017
    Use latex paint. Yes, prime the doors. You want a smooth finish. Do not use extra paste with prepasted. It creates an bond breaker. Wipe off any glue squeeze out along edges. Don't force any glue out just what flows out. This will seal the edges.

• Pat Moran Pat Moran on Jun 15, 2017
      thanks so much for the info - didn't know anything about the pre-pasted not integrating well with additional wall paper paste! One mistake avoided thanks to you!

• Julie Julie on Jun 15, 2017
    I have used this paper over wood paneling & on top of old wallpaper no prep required & used a little additional paste as needed. (around edges). Just paint over top, maybe need 2 coats depending on color. The beauty of it is if you get tired of the color, just repaint I put mine up 20 years ago & painted over it at least 5 times, I would use an enamel in kitchen, as it would be really easy to keep clean. People never know its fake until I tell them. It should look good.

• Pat Moran Pat Moran on Jun 15, 2017
      WOW! Twenty years ago? That's impressive! I love the look of the bead board embossing and this paper feels very substantial. Good news from you, Julie, and excellent advice. I appreciate it.

• Sally Garten Sally Garten on Jun 15, 2017
    Yes, I've done this and it turned out well. Also had some professionally installed wallpaper that just would not come off. Just painted over it and it looked great.

• Pat Moran Pat Moran on Jun 15, 2017
      I had no idea painting over wallpaper worked so well! I'm so glad to hear you did this and love it. THANKS!

• Gene Gummo Gene Gummo on Jun 15, 2017
    I love to put texture on the walls and this is great. I have painted with latex paint. Put on lower part of wall like wainscoting. Painted wine red (many coats due to red color) then a black colorwash to emphases the design. Finished with a second coat (after first dried) and immediately placed wrinkled plastic trash bags on wall and used clean roller to press against paint. Do next panel and remove previous. Use ball of plastic to add or subtract paint. High gloss finish that looks like leather. Never paint regular wallpaper as it becomes nightmare to remove.

• Pat Moran Pat Moran on Jun 15, 2017
      OK, Gene, you sound like the intrepid do-it-yourselfer I can only dream about being! But, I would love to see the leather like finish - sounds beautiful. Didn't know about the negative result of painting (non-paintable) wallpaper. Don't have any wallpaper in my house (1970s ranch = loads and loads of paneling!) but I'll remember this in case I ever move to a house with awful wallpaper! Thanks!

• Terri Pounds Terri Pounds on Jun 15, 2017
    Yes and I love it. I also used in a high traffic area and applied a clear poly on top for extra durability

• Pat Moran Pat Moran on Jun 15, 2017
      Yes, clear poly - excellent idea. And, I'm pumped you love yours - after hearing that I'm definitely doing it!. Thanks, Terri...

• Val hetherington Val hetherington on Jun 15, 2017
    I have used this, paints all. I used latex as it was in my living room but for kitchen you might want to use washable especially for cupboards. You will also need to eat corners from heat and moisture sealing from cooking, water, stream. Hope this helps a bit. I love mine. Turned out lovely.

• Pat Moran Pat Moran on Jun 15, 2017
      Val, what do you recommend using to make sure corners and seams are well sealed? Clear poly? Additional adhesive in those areas?

Seal corners

• Tami Stone Tami Stone on Jun 16, 2017
    Pat, Thank you for asking this question!!!
    I've been wanting to change the look of my 40+ year old kitchen cabinets. I've been thinking of wallpapers or peel-n-stick shelf liner, but didn't want to ruin them. I've no money to replace if I mess'm up. WOOHOO - So happy now 😊

• Gene Gummo Gene Gummo on Jun 16, 2017
    Thanks for compliment. I don't have any pictures to post.

• Val hetherington Val hetherington on Jun 17, 2017
    Additional adhesive would work