How can I paint paneling to make it look right

+3
  • Genie Genie on Jun 23, 2018
    Make sure it isn’t dirty or greasy, Kilz it then spray on a good quality paint. Ours has lasted for 14 tees still looks like new.

• 27524803 27524803 on Jun 23, 2018
    it really depends on the paneling.... it might need a good sanding, then use at least one coat of a good primer and a good quality paint.. 2+ coats... a matte or satin paint would probably work better than a gloss or semi-gloss

• Jcraw Jcraw on Jun 23, 2018
    As in most things, preparation is the answer. A good vacuuming and cleaning are the start. Go to our Search box at the top left of this page and type in Painting Panelling

• Barbara Barbara on Jun 23, 2018
    Proper preparation. Clean with a degreaser. Rinse well and use a primer. Use a good paint. The better the paint the further it goes.

• Brenda Brandt Deason Brenda Brandt Deason on Jun 23, 2018
    I used a satin finish paint and applied it with a roller, then went back with a brush to fill in the lines.

• B. Enne B. Enne on Jun 23, 2018
    All good suggestions.

I have had mine for 20 years from dark to off white, and it still looks good. I used a deglosser ( a generic Liquid Sandpaper), and medium fine steel wool, and gave a light scrub. I did not clean it beforehand. Then I went over the areas with an old damp towel to remove the crud and any possible steel filings.
    We then added a high-adhesion primer, and acrylic topcoat in an eggshell finish.
    The last time I did a newer piece, I used Zinsser BIN 123 shellac-based primer. It is very liquidy, but does a great job.