How do I paint over dark paneling?

I have dark paneling in the living room With low sunlight coming in the windows. I want light colored walls to brighten up the room.What is the best color to paint these walls?

• Julianna Smith Julianna Smith on Jan 24, 2019

Use a primer first. I had red and black paneling to cover. I used two coats of a light gray primer. Then I painted the paneling white. It worked well and lasted for years.

• Linda Biggs Linda Biggs on Jan 24, 2019

Thank you ! This information really helped me to go ahead with my painting the paneling!

• Nan W. Nan W. on Jan 24, 2019

Linda: I love how my painted paneling turned out! ...it really opened the room -- and I like the paneling texture on the wall.

Dust paneling well, prime, and then paint with two coats of a good latex paint. You will need both a nappy roller and brush.

Here's my "paneling" wall --- between the bookcase and fireplace.

• Jennifer Weber Ferguson Jennifer Weber Ferguson on Jan 26, 2019

Always best to prime over paneling first and then paint any shade of white, this will brighten up a room.