How much paint needed for a room and closet?

+1

How much paint needed? I have a 14x14 room and a 6x5 closet, both same color, how much paint is needed?

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jan 25, 2019

Here is a calculator you can use. I also get a second opinion from the paint professional at the store.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/try-on-colors/paint-calculator#/home

• Have the walls been washed and primed? Are you trying to cover a darker color? Texture to the walls, or flat? What about trim paint? Kathy provided an excellent site on how to calculate. I did a room a similar size, but I have a double door entrance to the room, opposite the entrance is a large picture window, and a third wall, half was a closet. And I painted a merlot color, so I needed to do two coats. I bought 2 gallons and used every drop.

• Betsy Betsy on Jan 25, 2019

Hi Donnie: Here is a site that lets you calculate the amount of paint you need, but I think it's wrong! I put in 8 feet tall and 24 feet wide (11 feet for the closet) no doors and no windows and it states 1 gallon. I would say at least 1 1/2 gallons.

https://www.glidden.com/how-much-paint-do-i-need?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6_6l9suK4AIV3brACh08uQ03EAAYASAAEgLZAfD_BwE

The site Kathy gives shows 1.4 gallons. These are both 1 coat. I'd go with hers.

Now, as an aside, when you are finished painting for the day, wrap your brush and/or roller in plastic wrap, squeezing out all air and you can just start up again the next day. Put the roller pan in a plastic grocery bag and then pour in the paint. Less clean up for you:) At the end of your painting, when you are all done, wash your brush in warm soapy water and brush the bristles with a hair brush. That will clean your brush quickly and keep the bristles straight. If your brush gets hard, then just put it in a jar filled with liquid fabric softener over night. That should soften it right up. For your roller, pour liquid soap up and down the roller and get a vegetable brush and brush the roller while rolling it around the sink under warm water. You should be all cleaned up in about 5 minutes:)

If you are going to paint the ceiling, (about 3/4 of a gallon) get that colour changing paint, it goes on pink or purple and dries white. That way, you can tell where you left off. It dries in about 10 minutes, so don't dawdle, and don't have a fan on when you are painting the ceiling. Don't ask:) You can get it at Home Depot and probably at other stores, too. The molding and door and window frames should be a bit shinier than the walls.

Probably more information than you want:) Good luck

• Donnie Donnie on Jan 25, 2019

Question resolved. Very grateful for you help.

Donnie