How to maintain black mortar look when painting faux brick wall?

+1
Put up Lowe's faux brick wall and want to soften the look, but want to maintain the black mortor as this goes well with color scheme. All examples show completely white washing the walls. Any ideas?

• Ken Ken on Nov 30, 2017
    I'm thinking a short-napped roller, rolled out to keep it dry. Like maybe using two roller trays, one with the paint and the other just to roll off some of the paint.

• Erica Smith Erica Smith on Nov 30, 2017
    Hi! Just an idea that popped in My head...how about doing a "dry wash" type over the panels. I had it in my den years back and wanted it to look more like old worn bricks and I used a grayish/black color where I mixed a couple of paints together to make my color. I used a dry brush and VERY LIGHTLY swiped over the "black mortar lines" & on the edges of some of the bricks. You can always run a damp rag behind the strokes to tone it down even more if needed. Hope this helps some. Best of luck!

Erica

• Kim Kim on Nov 30, 2017
    When doing water colors you can save white parts of the paper by using masking fluid. You paint it on, let it dry, paint over it, and then peel it off revealing clean white paper.
    Maybe you can do the same sort of thing with your grout lines.
    Use thin strips of painters tape to place over your grout lines and cover edges with rubber cement. (Test this first to make sure rubber cement will peel off cleanly).
    Then do your painting and remove your masking.
    I really hope that works
    😊

• William William on Nov 30, 2017
    Just use a torn piece of sponge to dab the paint on the bricks.