I am painting my 70’s z brick backsplash kitchen project!

+1
The grout is black & z brick dark red, I will be cleaning with TSP then priming paint, is this the best procedure? I’m only doing this ONCE! Also there is a wall phone built into the z brick, I’m in a delima on what to do with that.

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 25, 2017
    You are spot on with your process. The phone, take off the cover and spray paint a great color and keep! What a collector's item and conversation piece.

• John Biermacher John Biermacher on Dec 26, 2017
    I hope you post the finished project. Every time I see Z brick (1970 style) I think it would benefit from: 1) additional grouting; and 2) painting. Good luck and please share.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 26, 2017
    I did the same project last year except our Z-brick was white. I used a white wash made with latex and water to paint and it lightened up our wall. Attached is a photo, part way through. Because our brick was white, I brushed on the white wash then went over it with a damp sponge to keep some of the grays incorporated into the white brick. There were also a few bricks that had a lot of black so I used more white wash on them. For the black mastic, I used a child's stippling type brush to get into all the creases. It was slower but it really helped. Having said all of that, if you want the look of painted brick, you're on the right track. :)

Is the wall phone in use? We stopped using ours and found a cover specifically made for that purpose. It still looked horrible so I put a painting over it. :) Wishing you the best & Happy New Year!

• Chelle Chelle on May 05, 2018
    May I ask what it looks like, what you used... ? Getting ready to do same thing with the exact Z brick, need help