What would I need to do to paint over paneling in my kichen?

I have paneling in my kitchen that I want painted.

Would I need to rough it up first with sandpaper?

Would I need to use a primer?

What paint is best to use?

Thank you!!

• Bijous Bijous on Jun 16, 2018
    When I painted paneling I used liquid sandpaper and then primed. I then used latex paint. It worked quite well and the paneling looked really nice. Good luck.

• Mkl Mkl on Jun 16, 2018
    I would first clean them with a combination of vinegar, water, baking soda and elbow grease (pun intended) to remove any build up from cooking, dirt etc. The baking soda would only be used on stubborn spaces. Then I would lightly sand, prime and paint. Do not take short-cuts. We had paneling in a previous house that we thought was gold but we found out later that it was actually cigarette residue. When we simply painted over it, the gold would bleed through. Finally ended up removing the paneling. Not that this is your problem but just as a lesson.

• Rae Rae on Jun 17, 2018
    I have painted a LOT of paneling and never regretted it. My entire basement was paneled which had non shiny finish and after a good cleaning I painted a nice bright white. i no longer have the dark dreary basement. I used a good paint with primer and voila!