I want to repaint my very old kitchen cabinets. Where do I start?

+6
  • Dysko7710 Dysko7710 on Jun 07, 2017
    If you use chalk paint, you don't need to sand at all, it requires very little prep. Just clean them and paint. The important part is to seal them well afterwards. Here is a tutorial on it:

• William William on Jun 07, 2017
    Use acrylic latex paint. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123. Then paint with your color. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.

• Jea24235895 Jea24235895 on Jun 08, 2017
      Thank you for your help! this is a summer project should start pretty soon.

• Tonia Tonia on Jun 08, 2017
    I painted some that were custom from the '70s. I recommend cleaning them with a degreaser first. The paint will adhere better to the doors that are close or above the stove. It will be well worth your time to use a little elbow grease in the beginning. I didn't prime mine but they had a nice even color and two coats of white paint was all I needed for nice coverage. Do mark your doors like William said it makes hanging them so much easier.

Thank you! I will buy some good degreaser. The cabinets are pretty gross above the stove top.

• Sharon Sharon on Jun 08, 2017
    I painted my cabinets that were installed in my home in the 60's. They are good solid maple cabinets, but whew they were ugly dark mahogany color. I did lightly sand and then primed and painted them white (Swiss Cream). I used a foam roller to get a nice smooth finish. They have held up for more than 7 years now. It was the best thing I ever did. Be sure to check the holes from the hardware, some of the older hardware does not match up the newer ones. And if they are not the same, you will have to fill in the holes with putty. Good luck.

• Bobbie Bobbie on Jun 08, 2017
    My cabinets were from the 30-40's. I swear there at least a dozen coats of paint on them. I stripped then down and gave then a new life with a fresh stain and varnish. that was 28 years ago and they are still beautiful!!

• See 1 previous
    • Bobbie Bobbie on Jun 08, 2017
      I had painted the white when we first moved in.. My dream had always been a white kitchen. It just didn't live up to my dream...thus the stripping began. It was a huge commitment to strip so much but I love it and I'd do it again!!