Paint or stain breadboard ?

+5
We just bought a house with unfinished breadboard walls. If I paint them do I need to prime them? If I stain them do I have to put poly on them? I can't decide which I should do?
  • Barbara Jeffrey Barbara Jeffrey on Jun 16, 2017
    If they are unprimed then I would certainly prime before painting..if staining then check the durections on the stain cans, or check with a reputable paint and wallpaper store..good luck

• Bnsthrlnd Bnsthrlnd on Jun 16, 2017
    Yes. Always prime bare wood unless you are using an exterior wood stain product that is meant to penetrate surface

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jun 16, 2017
    Hi Theresa, I'm thinking you mean bead board, not breadboard because breadboard is used as a prototype for electrical connections. :) I did a search to see what people do with bead board and most people paint theirs, but that doesn't me you have to do that. You can stain it if you want. When you stain, you can use one that is plain stain or you can use a poly that has stain in it if you want that protection. Here is what I found when I googled ' bead board walls ' then clicked on 'Images', then clicked on 'Entire'. I don't know if other search engines give the 'Entire' option.

Look at what others have done and see if something inspires you.

• Ken Ken on Jun 16, 2017
    What is a breadboard wall?

• Dinky Diana Kay Smith Dinky Diana Kay Smith on Jun 16, 2017
    Yes. You should always prime anything before you paint it. It keeps the wood from constantly soaking in your paint. Priming a wall or anything that you're going to paint allows for a more smooth and even finish.
    If you staying you will need to apply several coats. Your decision to paint or stain should be based on the overall look for your home. If you have wood floors and wood trim you should go ahead and stain the wood because it creates A more even flow of the beauty of the wood. If you have White doors throughout your home I would recommend going with paint.

That choice is up to you but I know that sometimes it's hard to envision what it will look like if you change it. As Barbara said, if you decide to paint them, definitely prime them and if you decide to stain them, check the ones that are a poly finish with stain as well as the plain stain options. I think I would put on some kind of sealer on the stain to protect it and make cleaning it easier.
    Here are some ideas from other people. https://tinyurl.com/yb2lqrjl
    (I had to use tinyurl.com because the link wouldn't fit for some reason)

HTH

• PoppyPickett PoppyPickett on Jun 16, 2017
    Be careful of VOC's, there are natural oil rubs you can use. Never under estimate the danger's of VOC's I was sick over a year from a project. Was not worth it. Ventilation! Hope it works out, OK.

• Patricia Patricia on Jun 16, 2017
    Making the decision to stain or paint is the hardest part for sure! I think it depends on what look you are going for overall within your home. I personally prefer a painted finish. If you go that route then you should use primer first before paint. Enjoy your new home!