How can I paint wall paper?

+4
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 15, 2017
    It is not a recommended practice. Down the road it will be a major headache.

• Helen Helen on Dec 15, 2017
    I actually am against it. You're only going to make it harder to go back to a great paint job. Today, it's relatively simple to remove wallpaper . There are steamers you can rent to help. Or get the tool that puts little holes in the paper where you can use water with fabric softner in it to loosen the paper for stripping it down. A quick wash after and you're done.

• Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Dec 15, 2017
    Make sure the paper is on really tight. Any loose paper must be taken off. It will turn out very pretty.

• Janet Panos Janet Panos on Dec 15, 2017
    Hello! Best advice for painting wallpaper is to lightly sand it first so the primer and paint will adhere to it better. Then apply the primer. Let dry — overnight is best — then apply oil-based paint. You want oil-based because water-based will often leave bubbles when applied to wallpaper. Good luck!

• V Smith V Smith on Dec 15, 2017
    If the wall covering is paper it can absorb the moisture in latex paint and reactivate the glue causing bubbles or open seams. If that is the case, you can fix any rips or bumps first with spackle, then you need to prime with an oil based primer, then paint with latex. I have had excellent results but I was going over old paper that had been rip and then painted without repair. I even applied wall paper over part of the room. It is a real chore to remove painted wall paper and that was the last papered-then-painted room left in the house.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Dec 15, 2017
    After you use a primer, sand the walls lightly. MAKE SURE THE NEW WALL PAPER SEAMS ARE NOT IN THE SAME SPOT AS THE ORIGINAL ONES.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 16, 2017
    Please don't. You will always be able to tell that someone took a shortcut and painted over it rather than removing it. Also if the glue loosens, and the wallpaper comes off, you'll have to remove and repaint. Why paint twice? Don't take shortcuts - Do it properly the first time.