What paint can I use for my 38 year old kitchen cabinets?

+4
I would like to paint my wooden kitchen cabinets. They are approximately 38 years old. Still in good shape, but corners of a few upper cabinets are grimy and can't get them cleaned up. Any suggestions as to what paint I can use, and also how to prepare them before painting?
  • Before you can paint them you first have to get the grime off otherwise the paint will not stick then it will bubble and peel and look terrible. I suggest Murphy's Oil Soap and a Magic Eraser or scrubbie sponge to get them clean first. Then decide what type of paint you wish to use and go for it. There are so many paint products out there I am sure that other Hometalkers will have lots of suggestions as to type of paint.

• Sandie60 Sandie60 on May 27, 2017
    There are many products out there. One is good old 409

• Sue Neff Sue Neff on May 27, 2017
    After cleaning off all the guck you can, do a light sanding . Then use a primer sander stain blocker product like Kilz 2 latex to seal your wood . The version I use is interior /exterior water-based. After it dries do a very light sanding on it. Now you're ready for your finish paint. This will make your finish smooth and very professional looking. Good luck to you.

• William William on May 27, 2017
    Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123. Then paint with your color. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.

• John John on May 27, 2017
    also try goo gone...also I can't remember the name....auto mechanics have a degreaser to clean their hands...comes in a can...looks like vaseline...ask a mechanic what they use

• Ann Marie Ann Marie on May 27, 2017
    I think what John's referring to is "Goop". There are other products out there for the same purpose, but Goop has been around for ages and can be used around the house as well for general cleaning and removing stains in the laundry. I've never used it personally, but I have seen mechanics use it, so it must work !

• Cherylbeatrice Cherylbeatrice on May 27, 2017
    Wash with TSP. First prime with a heavy duty primer. Go to a Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore store, they will give good advice. Use a water base oil paint (relatively new item) which will hold up way better than just acrylic. It will cost a bit more but will be well worth it in the end. I have used all of these products, and have work for paint companies in the past.