Should yellow pine walls in a cabin be painted?

+7
My house is cabin style, all walls yellow pine, ceilings are corrugated tin. Should i paint some walls to break up the sameness of the walls?
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jun 03, 2017
    That's a great diea! Alternitively, you can give the rooms different feelings through gallery walls!

• Tammy Tammy on Jun 03, 2017
    If you are happy with your walls, no. Paint is much easier to put on the wood than take it off if you decide you don't like it. I would start with trim and see if that gives you enough contrast before committing to an entire wall. My home is mostly tongue and groove so I understand where your coming from, you just get in the mood of wanting something new. I have contemplated it myself in the past. I usually change up my artwork or window treatment at that point and am always happy later that I didn't paint my beautiful wood.

• Karen Karen on Jun 04, 2017
      See...thats my conflict..mine also is tongue and groove and i dont want o take away the beauty of the wood. Im going to experiment with some gallery walls with color and and squelch my idea of painting. Thanks so much for your input.

• Shelli Pitner Shelli Pitner on Jun 04, 2017
    I too live in a cabin with yellow pine walls. I have to admit it was a bit monotonous and dark; however, I knew once I painted there was no going back. My cabin is open beam style. Instead, I painted the ceiling as well as all of the beams overhead and around the edges of the ceiling white. What a difference! Still able to enjoy the softness of "natural walls," but it is now so much lighter and brighter!

• Karen Karen on Jun 04, 2017
      Awesome idea. I dont have the beams (my ceilings are actual sheets of corrugated tin) but i have plenty trim to think about!

• Cathy Cathy on Jun 04, 2017
    We have the same conflict at our camp. I am a co-owner, one of six! I choose to leave the natural wood. Painting the wood leans to more maintenance (i.e. fireplace smoke, nicks, dings, and you have to lightly sand, prime, before painting. I think anyone would regret painting the natural wood down the road. Congratulations on your choice not to paint!

• Karen Karen on Jun 04, 2017
      Thanks! I definitely wont paint after reassurance from the readers here... such a great help!

• Karen Karen on Jun 04, 2017
    I am excited to hear from other cabin homeowners. I have embraced the whold rustic/farm/vintage home decor. Have you done the same? So interested to know.

• Clydean Guyton Foster Clydean Guyton Foster on Jun 04, 2017
    We built our house in '79 -'80. We put real wood paneling in it (looks like barn wood). I got so tired of it that I finally decided to paint...It was rough and really hard to clean. I am so glad I did. It seems so clean and fresh now. My suggestion since your not sure you want to cover it up is to put a wash on it. Mix 1 or 2 parts water to maybe one part paint. This way lots of the grain still shows through....Just a thought.

• Beverly Lambert Beverly Lambert on Jun 04, 2017
    Hang a king size sheet on one wall what eversion color you would paint, live with that a while and see how you like it. You can use starch as a wall adhesive, soak the sheet and hang on wall, smooth it out only on the flat surface of the boards. When you want it off just mist with water and remove.