How to paint very dark wall paneling?

+1

Have ever painted wall very dark paneling?

• Evelyn Schatzel Evelyn Schatzel on Jan 26, 2019

Yes and it was so nice light and Marie what a difference

• William William on Jan 26, 2019

Make sure the paneling is clean and dry. Prime with a good stain blocking primer like Kilz. Then paint like painting regular walls. Acrilyc latex paint will work. If the paneling has grooves you can fill them with non shrink drywall patching compound. Just put on enough to fill the grooves. Let it dry overnight. Next day use a damp sponge to smooth the patch. Then prime and paint.

• Darla Darla on Jan 27, 2019

William's answer is spot on. The only thing I might do different is wash the walls with TSP first as that will clean the walls as well take any gloss off the original finish. Removing the finish will help your primer and paint stick better.

• Jenni Ingram Jenni Ingram on Jan 30, 2019

I painted my paneling using this method: https://rootsandwingsfurniture.com/blog/woodpaneling/ it's not as dark as yours perhaps, but I would still use this same method to do it!