What is the easiest and quickest way to paint a room?

+6
It's an already dark color room that I want to make more of a neutral color.
  • Wash the walls. Let dry. Use a GOOD primer, like kilz or any brand meant to cover dark colors. May take 2 coats with dry time between each coat. Then the paint of your choice, which will most likely require 2 coats also. Good luck!

• Carole Fittro Carole Fittro on Jun 09, 2017
    I have an unusual way, and it uses less paint. I use a large spoon to fill a paint pad then spread on the wall and smooth as far as possible.

• Helen Helen on Jun 09, 2017
    If it's going to be all one color, Use a good quality paint sprayer and be sure to cover the floors first and any woodwork.

• Jacks Beta Jacks Beta on Jun 09, 2017
    Start off with a good a paint that has primer already in. You can rent a paint sprayer from your local home improvement store. Tape up any windows and moldings. Tarp the floor and spray away. And don't forget the face mask. Spraying i think is the best way to paint. after the last coat. Take off the window cover and open the windows to vent.

• Helen Helen on Jun 09, 2017
    You'll need to paint it first with a "primer" you get at the paint dept.

• Ell14409386 Ell14409386 on Jun 09, 2017
    WHEN YOU WASH YOUR WALLS TO PREPARE FOR PAINT: Please use
    TSP (TriSodiumPhosphate) It will not only clean, but will etch (scratch) the surface, to ready the surface to hold on to the paint. My husband rinses but I do not, and the paint stuck for 28 years! Rather than 2 coats of primer and 2 of paint, why not just spend the extra bucks and get Paint with Primer and at most do two coats 3 if covering Red. (Red bleeds through the lighter paints.)
    I find it easiest when I paint a room is to "cut-in" the walls first. That means you use a paint brush or pad and do the corners of the walls and where the walls meet the ceiling and baseboards. I prefer a 2" Angled brush. Buy the best brushes you can afford >Wash out your brushes when you are done, in the hose Outside first, (will not hurt grass, if you rinse well with just water) then you can put a small amount of Dove dishsoap and work into the brush hairs, closest to the Metal part of the handle ("FERRULE"). Then hold the edges (ends) of the hairs of the brush and make the handle do a hula. (Turn in circles on one hand Under the faucet, first one way then the other.) Makes the brush scrub itself. RINSE UNTIL CLEAR WATER ONLY runs down the end of the brush.
    >>*If you are just stopping for a while, Overnight at the longest for water based paints, longer if oil paint. Put your brush inside a plastic bag with twist tie and put into the freezer! Ready to paint again? Just defrost brush and start painting. (Really).
    Then use a roller brush to "fill in" the rest of the wall. First paint a "W" on the wall, then go from top to bottom with up and down More or less paint out the w, make sure it all looks nice before moving to the next spot, repeat Pretty soon, You will have All the Walls and Ceiling painted in no time!
    White ceilings or matching? The reason I like white ceilings, I like the continuity going through the house. Plus you only have to paint the walls, you can change the whole design and color in the room as often as you want!
    All for the price of one gallon of paint.
    I'm Old and retired, and I'm Scottish (cheap), and I hope this helps you.
    Many Blessings,
    Ellen T.

• Chubby58 Chubby58 on Jun 09, 2017
    Clean walls, then prime first, they can tint your primer close to the color you will be painting the room. Every paint store, or big box store will do this. I prefer Sherwin Williams paint, have always used it and never been dissappointed.

• Jennifer Jennifer on Jun 10, 2017
    Thank you everyone for your great advice! I appreciate all of your helpful ideas! I plan on taking a little from each comment and attempting this project soon! Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with me.

• Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Jun 10, 2017
    Hire a painter! 😉 You had to know that was coming sooner or later. There is no quick way if you want a good job. Prep work is so important and that takes longer than the actual painting of room. You could buy paint that has primer but if it's dark one coat will probably not cover it properly so it will need 2 or 3 coats. I say go with tinted primer and if it looks like it did the job then proceed with painting.