Disgruntled ex employees

How do you deal with them?
  8 answers
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson) 360 Sod (Donna Dixson) on Feb 23, 2012
    Let a guy go last year, coming to work in an altered state, inconsistently showing up, lying..bla bla bla...became beligerant at the time. So we told him he was not allowed on our property anymore. Out of the blue today (9 months later) he calls three times in row. First time he hangs up. Second time he asks why he can't come on the property. I told him the reason was relevant but still stood. He becomes belligerent on the phone, so I hang up on him. He calls back and owner answer the phone, basically tells him the same thing, same reaction, same hang up. Now I am concerned about retaliatory or even worse work place violence. I am often here alone at the nursery. Just trying to decide if I should just let it be or contact the police with my concerns....just in case...

  • Contact police and file a restraining order.....sad but properly alcohol or drug related. Better to have it on file just in case. Amazing the headaches we face as employers! I haven't had much of this but about 6 years ago we had several workers who were using crystal meth...they seem to find each other somehow...and get around random drug testing. Got rid of the batch and haven't had any issues since. We were once 140 workers and crashed it down to 3...we are now at 8 and gradually growing once again!

  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson) 360 Sod (Donna Dixson) on Feb 23, 2012
    Same here HandyAndy. Thanks for the advice.

  • I agree that you should contact the police and get things on the record. Also, if they ever somehow make contact with you, your property, your workers or even clients, make sure to note that down with as many details as possible. All that will be useful if it comes time to really enforce things aginst them.

  • SawHorse Design Build SawHorse Design Build on Feb 24, 2012
    They are upset. They are not rational. I had the same problem and I was getting harassed up to 3 years later and I had to take measures to protect our interests and also let them know that we were serious.

  • I agree call cops and get restraining order done. Sounds as though there is drugs involved much like Handy said.

  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson) 360 Sod (Donna Dixson) on Feb 24, 2012
    thanks ya'll