Tips for Wall paper on untreated drywall

I've discovered that the wall paper in my house was applied directly to untreated drywall. Can I just apply a texturizer over it and then paint?
  8 answers
  • I am with the same dilemma as yourself! I already stripped one wall and now have notches where I was scrapping. I filled those areas with wall putty. Once dried, I will sand to make a smooth and even surface on the wall.

  • To add... if you discover a different or better method, please post!! I am not sure I can withstand doing this method through this huge area! :)

  • Sharyn Diaz Sharyn Diaz on Jul 25, 2013
    After scoring and soaking and a lot of cussing I ended up using a wallpaper steamer for a very long hallway...but I believe the wall was prepped with sizing before they put up some of the ugliest paper I ever saw. I rented a professional one (several years ago) but I believe they have home models now for under $50...probably Lowes or Home Depot. Good Luck!

  • Amanda Constancio Amanda Constancio on Jul 29, 2013
    Here's what I did @Back to Life Restoration & Home Decor - I pulled off all loose paper that easily pulled off. I then bought a buck of wall mud (about $15.00 at Lowes) and a 6" putty knife like thingy (they are on the same aisle as the mud) and retextured all of the walls over the reaming paper. It needs to dry for 24 hours and then cure for another 24 hours. Then I can paint it. So far it looks sooo much better! :)

  • oh ok that sounds great!! I'll try that! Did you also sand the walls once they cured, to create a smooth surface, before you painted?

  • Amanda Constancio Amanda Constancio on Jul 29, 2013
    You can, but I chose not too - I intentionally tried to make it look a bit like stucco so wanted it to be rough. I still have to do 2 bath rooms and for those I will probably make it smooth and will sand it. :)

  • Reilly Interiors Reilly Interiors on Aug 23, 2013
    In our experience over the last 30 years, we've found its best to scrape away any loose paper and over lapping seams. Then paint the walls with R35 or Rx35 or Gardz. All sold at Sherwin Williams.

  • Thank you Reilly Home Services for that helpful hint!