Thermostat setting question

+11
I've never been able to find the answer to this question so maybe you all can help. I like to keep my thermostat setting on 67 however at times it's just to cold for everyone. My question, is it better meaning more cost effective, to keep it at 69 or 70 at all times or maintain the 67 and hike it up only when needed? Thanks

• Lho8229599 Lho8229599 on Dec 13, 2017
    Instead of hiking it up.. dress accordingly. A sweater, socks and warm shoes. I keep my thermostat at 58 and 56 when I sleep. When it is summer.. 67 is warm..you have to think of it that way.

• See 5 previous
    • For summer, I would do almost anything to keep it at 72, but when it is 100+ outside, just not possible. 67 . . . Oh my! I couldn't afford the elecricity bill to keep it that cold.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 13, 2017
    We do that also with our heat setting. I wear warmer clothing in the house and keep throw blankets handy. However, one thing we did that really help was put up the window kits on windows and even bubble wrap on windows we do not use in winter like in spare bedrooms and hallways. On windows we look out sometimes we put a 6 inch strip on the side or across the top to see out. Everyone says we have such a warm house now and they are shocked when we tell them where our heat is set. It also cut our heat bill way down.

• Kssiggys11 Kssiggys11 on Dec 13, 2017
      So you just tape bubble wrap to the window, covering the entire window side to side and top to bottom? I ask for myself as well as my daughter and her fiancé who recently purchased an older home and the windows are barely insulated and the heat and air just seeps right out and they can’t afford to replace the windows at this point.

• Rowgop (Pam) Rowgop (Pam) on Dec 13, 2017
    Found some info on your question. Hope thiss helps...

Because once the temp is turned down, the furnace does not go on at all for some period of time, thus erasing the little bit of extra energy that the system uses in the morning to heat it up again. So the important question here is: Does having your heat at 58 for 8 hours save money? And the obvious answer is Yes.

• The answer like many on saving money, comfort, etc... is it depends

There is actually a lot more to comfort than just the actual temperature shown on the dial / screen like humidity, air movement, etc... If 67 works for you most of the time - sweet, nothing wrong with bumping it up occasionally. Now if you can figure out why it all of a sudden feels cool, solve that or as others say, throw on a long sleeve shirt or cuddle up with someone under a blanket

• DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 13, 2017
    Yes, we cover it completely unless it is a window we need to look out, like to see who is knocking, then we leave a 5 or 6 inch strip of bare window across the top or down one side. It really has cut off the cold drafts. Our home is well insulated other than that so we saw a huge difference. Bubble wrap is under $7 at Walmart and we did not use a whole roll. It can be left up in summer for a/c too. Keeps house cool. It does let in light.

• With lots of pets, I keep my thermostat at 68 at night and 72 during the day in the winter months (this morning it was 40° at 5 am, and now at 1:30 pm, it is 83°), and good windows and proper insulation ao can significantly reduce heating in cooling costs. Here are a couple links, see what you think.

Honestly I don't count pennies. I just want to be as comfortable as possible. I replaced the roof, upgraded the insulation and now working on replacing windows which will take 3-4 years. In the summer it gets really hot here (100°+ for months on end through October) and keeping the house around 80° is about the best I can do - and that is expensive enough. Here they push energy conservation, which I agree with, but you need to be comfortable too.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 14, 2017
    I've found it was cheaper to leave my thermostat at the desired temperature all the time, rather than turn down during day while I'm working and turning up when I come home.