Why is my fridge making noises?

+5
A fridge unused 6 mo, made a yap-yap-yap sound; unplugged it. Help! It did it briefly at first, so left it on. Each time the yapping got worse. The next morning it didn't stop so I unplugged it. Yet it cooled and made ice as if nothing was wrong. (I knew to start w/ low settings and go up just one level per day, so that wasn't the problem. It is 12 yrs old but gets used less than 3 mo. per yr. as it is in a summer vacation home.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 30, 2017
    It would be best to reach out to the manufacturer.

• William William on May 30, 2017
    Check under the fridge, front or back. Could be something is in the way of the fan blade and the sound you hear is the blade hitting it. Summer Home! May be a varmint

• Alice Morgan Alice Morgan on May 30, 2017
    Uh, oh. Road (er fridge) kill? Will do. Hope that's it. Thanks.

Someone else (not on here) suggested that the coolant could be low.....enough to cool but not high enough to serve as a lubricant in the condenser. Does that make any sense? I guess it would take a repairman to establish that. I honestly don't think the noise sounds like the fan blade hitting something but rather like something is "straining"...like an old time fan that's trying to run, you push a blade with a stick and it goes just fine. Opinions?

• William William on May 31, 2017
    Better description. Sounds like the compressor is going. Not because of low coolant but not being in use all the time. The pistons and seals can lock up inside and you hear the compressor straining. A compressor in a fridge is quite small. A coolant leak would dissipate all the coolant. You can check by listening to the compressor and see if its really hot to the touch.

• John pyles John pyles on May 31, 2017
    Check your warrenty