How can you repair a tub?

I am not sure if my tub/shower combination (one piece) is acrylic or fiberglass. It has a hole in the side of the tub that is rather large. Is there a method of repairing it. Right now the hole is covered with duct tape which works to prevent water from entering the hole but I need to either fix or replace it.
  14 answers
  • Z Z on Sep 25, 2013
    Could you post a photo please? That would help allot. I've repaired a crack in a tub bottom made from sort of plastic/fiberglass using a kit from Lowe's, after drilling a small hole to add concrete. Your situation sounds very different being it's on the side of your tub.

  • Pat Dollar Pat Dollar on Sep 25, 2013
    #Becky, Thank you for the suggestions but this doesn't answer my question because it would be difficult to add a photo. I would have to first remove the duct tape which is there to prevent water damage during use. The hole is rather large - almost about the size of a small dinner plate. It is completely cracked around about 1/2 of the circumference and the portion that is cracked is also indented into the surface dramatically.

  • Z Z on Sep 25, 2013
    Well just knowing the size helps Pat. I'm sorry but I can't help and I'm not sure who to tag that would have the answer so I'll tag @Miriam. Hopefully she'll know of a member that can help you.

    • See 4 previous
    • Carole Carole on Sep 26, 2013
      @Z Thanks, I will have to try that!

  • Carole Carole on Sep 26, 2013
    Hi, if you mean bath tub when you say 'tub' then you should be able to fit a new bath inside the one you have. Sounds weird, but these days there are inserts you can use inside an existing bath tub rather than pull the whole lot out and replace it. Easier and cheaper. Try an internet search on bath liners and see if you can find someone near where you live that supplies these. You can fit them yourselves or the company who supply can fit them for you. This way you will have appearance of a new tub and no holes. Hope this helps!

  • Carole Carole on Sep 26, 2013
    This supplier is based in Australia but may give you an idea what I mean if you read the info on the link as below. You may find someone where you live that does similar

    • See 2 previous
    • Carole Carole on Sep 26, 2013
      @Z Too true!

  • Therese Ryan-Haas Therese Ryan-Haas on Sep 26, 2013
    Becky, My Apartment had a tub with a 4" hole or cracked spot in it. It didn't leak till I accidentally hit it when taking a shower. I thought it would need to be replaced but you know landlords. The Maintenance guy came in with A kit of fiberglass repair. Kind of like Bondo but for boats. Put that on in a few coats. Came back and sanded and sprayed with matching color in Krylon spray paint for outdoor plastic. When I moved out a year later. I still could not see where the repair was.

    • Z Z on Sep 26, 2013
      @Therese, thank you. That sounds just like the kit I used to fix the bottom of our tub, but I didn't think it would work without the added support of the concrete, but then you're not standing on the side of the tub.

  • Miriam Illions Miriam Illions on Sep 26, 2013
    I think @KMS Woodworks will be able to help.

  • Pat Dollar Pat Dollar on Sep 26, 2013
    Thanks, @Therese Ryan-Haas - That seems to be the best solution. I will check with Home Depot to see if they have a repair kit. The bathtub is part of a whole drop in tub/wall type and a simple drop in tub would not do the trick.

  • Patricia Miller-Darrow Patricia Miller-Darrow on Sep 26, 2013
    my father used regular auto "Bondo" with fiberglass strips ( comes all together in a kit!) at Walmarts and it doesn't matter what the tub is made of. He was a furniture refinisher and even used plain Bondo to patch wood too!

  • Patricia Miller-Darrow Patricia Miller-Darrow on Sep 26, 2013
    You will need an electric palm sander to sand that down cuz' once it dries it gets hard as rock! Sorry to confuse you, then paint it with Acrylic paint and it works great!

  • Kelly Christianson Kelly Christianson on Sep 26, 2013
    We had one the size of a quarter, and I used plumbers putty to fix it. Roughed it up with sandpaper first, filled the hole, let it dry, filled the gaps a second time, let it dry, and sanded it down smooth. It's been there for about 7 years, and not one leak. It's not in the line of sight, so no one notices it. If it's small enough to do it that way, it's a cheap and easy fix!

  • KMS Woodworks KMS Woodworks on Sep 27, 2013
    i think a fiberglass patch kit would work fairly well for this...these type of kits are used to repair boats. But in those cases you are keeping the water you want to keep the water IN. the area around it would be sanded to allow the resin to get a good bond. Once the repair is done some touch up painting would make it less noticeable.

  • If you want a diy type job sand the area with 8o grit paper apply fiber glass to cover the whole patch and overlap 1 1/2 around the perimeter. Apply 2 part resin to fill the area it may take 2 coats which may be applied when the first one dries. Sand when dry 1.5 to 2 hours. Apply oil based paint to match. If you want a professional finish. Hire a tub re glazer. We have professional tools products and equipment. It will take apx 2.5 hours to complete this. We are also skilled in paint match to leave it almost imperceptible the cost is apx 200 to 250 depending on the size of th repair. NOt hardly worth doing it yourself to botch it up.and leave an ugley patch.