Microwave help

+3
Looking to replace the vent in my house with a microwave...but not sure how to mount an outlet box. I was hoping to do this without tearing out part of the wall. That's as far as the wire goes.
q microwave help
  • Steve Steve on Dec 28, 2017
    If there is an outlet below, that's probably where that wire comes from. Just snake a new wire up from the outlet and disconnect the other wire.

• V Smith V Smith on Dec 29, 2017
    One of the things that doesn't get changed when swapping out a vent hood for a microwave is the cabinet above. All too often they are the right size for a vent hood but too long to be above a microwave. Make sure that your microwave is going to be high enough so that the heat from the burners isn't doing harm or creating a fire hazzard. Also many codes require that the microwave be on it's own circuit. It is unlikely that the vent hood (if wired) is wired that way. If you have an outlet behind the range, you can remove the socket outlet and make it a junction box and fish a wire up thru the wall to behind the microwave, but it needs to be done right. If you don't know what you doing hire an electrician.

• Cory Schaefer Cory Schaefer on Dec 29, 2017
      Thanks Vsmith. The old cabinet above that was larger..I cut half it down to give it adequate space for the mw. Now..if it needs it's own circuit..then I'll call in someone

• Teresa Shumate Teresa Shumate on Dec 29, 2017
    You must know what you are doing here. From just the pics you showed, nothing is right. Make sure the wiring in the home is adequate to handle
    what you want to do. A licensed electrician is the best person to determine what is safe for you to do in your home. Do not make the mistake of doing the wiring yourself is you are not a licensed electrician PLEASE. I had friends and her husband was licensed in construction but he installed a speaker system in their home, and that installment caused a fire, and they lost their home!