Why does my dehumidifier keep icing up?

+3
I keep turning it down to a lower and lower setting (on less frequently). It ices up, then thaws and drains until it cycles on and ices up again.
q why does my dehumidifier keep icing up
  • Cin9359018 Cin9359018 on May 27, 2017
    Make sure you have adequate air flow around the coil. A dehumidifier works just like an air conditioner and insufficient air flow can make the coil freeze up. It is also wise to check the coolant level. A low coolant level can also cause freezing.

• David David on May 27, 2017
    I've experianced similar issues with my dehumidifier, and it comes down to three potential problems, insufficent air flow (dirt buildup on fins, blower motor not working), surrounding air (cold basement) too cool, or low freon. I disassemble mine every 2 years and clean the dust from the fins & oil the fan motor.

• Murphyhm123 Murphyhm123 on May 27, 2017
    time to get another one dnt mess with ice and electricity

• Gail Gail on May 27, 2017
    The most common cause is no air flow to the coil and when the room temperature drops it means the room is too cold, then you have ice. Try putting it up higher in the room, hot air rises. Could be a clogged filter. Unplug and clean the evaporator coil very carefully, let dry thoroughly before plugging in. Use a fan to dry but, wait a day to be sure it is dry. If any wires are not connected, get a professional or buy another dehumidifier. Check your warranty for refrigerant loss. Many cover a five year loss of refrigerant. If those things aren't helpful check the on off switch and compressor. You may need a new one.

• Kelly Kelly on May 27, 2017
    Sounds like your coolant levels are low.

• DORLIS DORLIS on May 27, 2017
    I think I have to check mine. Thanks. I just unplugged it.