Basement wall is bowed.

I have one block wall in my basement that has bowed .is there an inexpensive way it can be fixed?

  6 answers
  • William William on Dec 29, 2017
    Is this recent?! Sounds very serious. It seems to be structural. The force of dirt and fill on the outside is pushing it in. You need a foundation contractor before it caves in.

  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 29, 2017
    No. It would require someone with experience like a pro to do it right so that you don't have any leaks and it may require a lot of digging by the wall to get it straight and prepared right.

  • Sharon Sharon on Dec 29, 2017
    I would get a foundation guy to look at it ASAP, if your foundation fails, the house could collapse. Sounds like a serious water problem, is this wall at the bottom of a hill? You may need a French drain and catchment basins, even a sump pump to get the water out of there.

  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Dec 30, 2017
    No. You need to contact a foundation company and get this fixed because this is the very structure of your home! They will have to dig back the dirt, repair and reenforce the wall and slope the ground away so as to lessen pressure on the wall.

    Over time dirt moved and compacts in the wrong places sometimes!

  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Dec 30, 2017
    P.S. Make sure you get sure to call them. Also require they have liability, comprehensive and workman's comp insurances. If it is a pricey job, you might want to require a bond even if you have to pay for it. A bond cost may prove to be a good buy if your house is damaged!

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 04, 2021

    Hello Marie,

    Short answer is NO! If you have Building Insurance, call them and tell them about the problem. If not call in a Building Engineer for a report and Remedy and possible costs. I'm afraid you may have some sort of "Heave" which cannot be left as it could bring your home down! Sorry it can't be better news.