Can I put new insulation on top of old?

+1

I just bought a Cape Cod style home built in 1965. I live in Northeast Ohio, the insulation in this house isn't great. My question, can I put new insulation on top of old the kind that comes in a roll? Thank you for your help.

• Zard Pocleeb Zard Pocleeb on Jan 17, 2019

If you are talking about in the attic yes as long as there isn’t a floor over the insulation. If you are talking about in the walls, no you can’t.

• Yes and no. What did your inspection report indicate prior to purchase? Follow local building code. Contact your local permit office and have them come out and inspect and make suggestions. Then determine whether you can add more safely or whether it is better to remove and replace.

• Jan Jan on Jan 17, 2019

Thank you both

• Seth Seth on Jan 17, 2019

Jan,

You can and you should. There are many ways to lose heat, your ceilings being one of them. Your local utility company probably performs free energy audits. They will make recommendations on insulation improvements. Doors and windows are more important than your walls. You also want to seal all penetrations by light fixtures, plumbing, and HVAC ducts that go into your attic. You should have a double layer of batt insulation or several inches of loose fill/blown in insulation on your attic floor. Since you already have batts, put another layer down. The one thing you have to make sure you do not do is block the airflow from your soffit vents to your ridge vent (if you have those types of vents). No need to get rid of what you have unless it has been compromised by water.