How do you remove the texture from a wall?

+3
I want smooth flat walls in my kitchen, the texture was not done very well, thanks, Rachel
q how do you remove the texture from a wall
  • Tam13317878 Tam13317878 on Jun 13, 2017
    Sanding is the only way to accomplish this. It's gonna be time consuming and dusty. Best wishes.

• Mark Mark on Jun 13, 2017
    You'll need to skim over them with drywall mud and after it has dried sand smooth with 120 grit sandpaper

• Eleanor Korf Eleanor Korf on Jun 13, 2017
      Depending on roughness (this looks like a pretty nasty job you have ahead of you) you will need to sand the high spots then skim-coat the rest with multiple layers. For sanding you might want to use a large surface sander on this job because of the existing texture which could make it more difficult to get a smooth finish. Unless you are ready for a LOT of work and need to do it yourself, better to hire it done. If you need to do it yourself because of cost I suggest you buy pre-mixed "mud" rather than mix your own once you are ready to skim coat. It is probably more expensive but saves a lot of effort mixing the mud.

• Dlm18805225 Dlm18805225 on Jun 13, 2017
    We had to do sanding on the walls in a house we purchased and it was a pain in the butt. We ended up just putting 1/4" drywall over it. Much easier. good luck !

• Tami Stade Tami Stade on Jun 13, 2017
    I would say a layer of spackle over it and then sand smooth. That's how I did my kitchen walls and they came out great.. wasn't too bad time wise, but really dusty for sanding.

• Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Jun 13, 2017
    For me, I like textured walls. My suggestion as a quick and easy solution would be to attach beadboard, tin tiles or ship lap. Or, if you don't mind the work and the mess, you can sand the walls flat. You may have to skim coat the walls with joint compound to ensure that they are flat prior to priming and painting otherwise any missed areas will appear once painted. Best of luck.