How to cut wall 4x8 board

+2
I want to replace panel boards in the basement and one wall has a stone fireplace. because the stone is not flat , but irregular, how do I measure the panel to fit snug against the stone, and maintain it vertical to the studs?

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Dec 19, 2017
    You could try cutting a pattern from a piece of heavy craft paper or cardboard and then transferring it to the 4X8 sheet.

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Dec 19, 2017
    I agree with Joychevi....use either cardboard or posterboard to cut a template of the rough edge, then lay it on the new wallboard to trace the design. Once you install the wallboard, use colored caulk to fill in any small gaps and create a smooth, seamless look.

• William William on Dec 19, 2017
    Install your panel to within several inches of the stone, stopping on a stud of course. Then measure from the edge of the last panel you installed to whatever point in the stone is furthest from the that already installed edge. Cut you last piece and hold it tight against the stone and allow it to overlap the previous panels edge. Be sure your last piece is straight up and down. Use compass with a pencil and place the point against the stone and use the pencil to draw your irregular line on the drywall. This will scribe the irregular edge for you. Go back and trim away the scribed line and you should have a perfect fit against the irregularities of the stone. Caulk the gap for a finished look.

• Barry Smith Barry Smith on Dec 19, 2017
    thanx very much, I will try on an old piece 1st, to get some practice.
    it sounds so simple when someone else has already taken the journey your on, an pass their knowledge onto newbies .
    thanx again Bill