How to keep living room warm?

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment lower floor. it is less than 4 years old. you can tell when the sun goes down that it becomes extremely cold in my livingroom. I don't want to put plastic on my patio window because I need access out that door to feed the wildlife. does anyone have any suggestions?

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jan 20, 2019

What sources of heating do you have now in the apartment?

Are you renting the apartment?

• Sue Sue on Feb 12, 2019

I am renting the apartment, and it is gas heat.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Jan 20, 2019

An electric fireplace could help warm the room. But it’s strange that a place so new would be so poorly insulated. Where are the leaks? It would be good to find out.

• Sue Sue on Feb 12, 2019

I have a fireplace but it takes an entire night just to heat the living room. I have no way of opening the fireplace to let the heat out.

• I would recommend finding the air leaks - just walk around and notice where it's cooler and try to stop the leaks (one of those long things you can put near the floor of the door and easily move). Also, thermal curtains work really well for us. Hope this helps. Hugs, Holly

• Sue Sue on Feb 12, 2019

our registers are in the ceiling and every time they go on you can really feel the cold air blowing out of them. there are people upstairs and I know for a fact that these apartments have no insulation between the apartments. you can hear everything going on up there.