How can I treat/handle water trickling down seam of basement?


wall is made out of concrete

  8 answers
  • Annie Annie on Dec 24, 2019

    Hi Patti, have you figured out where the water is coming from?

    • See 1 previous
    • Annie Annie on Dec 24, 2019

      That's good to hear, so the drainpipe should now be taking the water away

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Dec 24, 2019

    I would have a waterproofing company come out and get recommendations. They usually do it at no cost.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Dec 24, 2019

    Hi Patti,

    It is critical you find the source of the water coming in and fix it, otherwise it will start to cause problems and be the source of major home repairs. Does it appear to be coming from a window, a downspout, after rain or watering the yard/garden (spigot), or maybe even the roof?

  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 24, 2019

    Hi Patti,

    I agree with Kathy. Have 2-3 waterproofing companies come out to get a solid diagnosis. We tried landscaping next to the wall so that the water would drain away from the house. Then we cleaned out the crack, patched it and tried Flex Seal on the wall. Together these methods helped a little but it wasn't enough. It ended up that the french drain put underneath our house when it was built in the 1950's had broken down and we needed new drain tile around part of our basement. No more water trickling inside. If it's a small trickle, you could try the things we did, but I do recommend getting some professionals in to know the real problem. Wishing you the best.

  • Patti Patti on Dec 24, 2019

    House was built 11 years ago and we never had a problem. However, we have had serious rain in Penna. for the last 2 years, such that it actually lower the entire front yard. We brought it bags (and bags and bags) of top soil to build the level back up. Maybe we didn't bring enough. The water initially seemed to trickle from the top/upper half of the wall...?

    • Which "Penna?" Italy? Tasmania? Pennsylvania? Sounds like you have some soil issues going on as well. I would consult with several water proofing companies as well as a soils expert to assess the sinking yard. Purchasing by the bag is far more expensive that purchasing from a landscape supply in bulk. Might be something to consider next spring.

  • William William on Dec 25, 2019

    I agree. First I would consult a waterproofing company. If its a seam in the concrete wall itself it can be filled with hydraulic cement, It expands as it hardens filling the seam. If its where the ledger board sits on the concrete wall then the seal has failed. That would take a pro to repair. Newer home and with the heavy rains you say would make the fill and soil sink over time. Adding soil and grading it away from the home would help with rain runoff. The downspout and drainpipe is a good way to start to divert the water away from the house. Don't use any surface patch like Flex Seal, tar, or caulk. The water pressure will just fail it.

  • Oliva Oliva on Dec 26, 2019

    You don't indicate where you're located, but if your soil is heavy clay, and subsoil is shale or limestone, you could have serious lack of sufficient drainage. You may need a soil engineer's advice to determine best solution. Insure your drainage diverts water at least 10' away from your foundation.

    Clay soil can be packed to cause more rapid diversion of water from against the house foundation into yard.

    Gutters can be installed in wider widths to handle more water. They must be adequately sloped to handle runoff. Gutter helmets are a good investment, as well. You may need a French drain, more landscaping, swales, or a Hydro Blox system installed, as well. If adjacent properties are spilling water from above you, you must find a means to address this, immediately.

  • Rymea Rymea on Dec 27, 2019

    If you are sure the water is coming down from the top and not up from somewhere underground then you could start by raising the soil around that area by about a foot and slope it way away from the house. Maybe you could find some kind of non porous soil. Otherwise slope the soil, cover it with plastic and then cover that with some rock.

    When you say your yard sunk a foot it kind of sounds like it something changed underground