Is there anyway to insulate walls without ripping them down?

  7 answers
  • Dfm Dfm on Jan 05, 2018
    yes. its called foam insulation. funny you should ask...i just got a call back from a spray foam insulation company.

  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jan 05, 2018
    Hi Annie, they do make a spray in insulation but it does require a hole being made at the top of the wall between each of the studs.

  • William William on Jan 05, 2018
    Spray foam insulation cannot be applied into finished walls. It expands as it hardens and can blow out the walls. It's used in new construction and remodels before drywall is hung. Blown in insulation is used for finished walls. It a recycled treated paper product that looks like cotton. They cut a hole at the top of the wall and bottom of the wall. Usually one inch. Then the insulation is blown in from the bottom until it flows out of the top hole. The holes are plugged and patched. It can be blown in from the outside in wood frame homes. It is a DIY project. Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards carry it. Home Depot also provides the pump machine for free if a certain amount of insulation is purchased.

  • 27524803 27524803 on Jan 05, 2018
    There is a "blown in" insulation.... they make a hole about 2-3 inches in diameter at the top of each cavity in the walls (between the studs) and blow in the insulation.... when each cavity is full... they repair the drywall.... you might need to repaint to cover the repairs.

  • Cheryl Cheryl on Jan 05, 2018
    Nust a quick comment re: the spray insulation: the previous owner of my home had done this and the blown in insulation settled out right down to the bottom of the wall.
    Hopefully there are newer products or even methods that would prevent this from happening to you!

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 05, 2018
    Yes, You can use rolls of polystyrene under your wallpaper If outside and you have a cavity wall, you can have insulation pumped in through small holes, then resealed. Or Insulation between external wall and new cladding.