My basement floods. Is there anything I can do myself to stop it?

+2
  • You should stop it. Where is it flooding from and why? Is a neighboring property draining onto yours? If so, that is illegal and you may need to get the city involved. If not, you will need to regrade the property to gently slope away from any structure. Add rain gutters and diverters to have rain water drain away from the structure and even install French drains. Repeated flooding over years can compromise the foundation of the house itself. I would have a consult with a soils expert and a structural engineer to see what is best for your specific problems. Take lots and lots of photos! Especially when it floods.

• Oliva Oliva on Jun 28, 2018
    Check outdoors and see if regrading dirt to slope away from your house would help. You may need to check gutters to insure they're not clogged/leaking and dumping water. If it floods badly, you may need professional help to excavate your yard, installing "Hydroblox" system, French drain, sump pump, or entire interior perimeter drains (quite costly). Do you have landscaping to help soak up water, or is all the water running directly toward your foundation?

• Ton6108226 Ton6108226 on Jun 28, 2018
    First figure out why it floods. Is your yard sloping down towards it? If so, you'll need to change the slope so it drains away. Do the windows and doors need recaulked? Is water seeping through the concrete walls? There are paints that will seal it. These are things you can take care of yourself.

Bigger things like foundation issues, high ground water, require a professional.

Hope this helps.

• Scarlet Paolicchi Scarlet Paolicchi on Jun 28, 2018
    Usually this type of large problem, may require several solutions such as water sealant paint for basement and installing a french drain. My husband installed a french drain at our last house with great success but it was a lot of work!!