My retainer wall is caving in, what can I do to repair?


The city street is caving in causing my retainer wall to come down. They put a 2x4 on my property to protect there side walk and there side wall is lifting. I was told that the soil is moving under the city street. I’m confused on what to do.

q my retainer wall is caving in
q my retainer wall is caving in
q my retainer wall is caving in
  7 answers
  • Teacup8885 Teacup8885 on Sep 17, 2018

    Maybe call ur home insurance company!?

    • Valerie Valerie on Sep 17, 2018

      Thank You. I did because the street is caving in due to soil movement they wouldn’t fix it. The steel beams started bending. The street is going to end up in my back yard.

    • Valerie Valerie on Sep 17, 2018

      Thank You. I spoke to home owner insurance they wouldn’t cover it because the city street is causing it to come down.

  • Valerie Valerie on Sep 17, 2018

    Those are steel beams that were put 4 feet in the ground with drainage and it still caved in then the city said if the wood isn’t moved they will fine me. The soil is moving so much until the steel beams are bending.

  • Old grouchy granny Old grouchy granny on Sep 17, 2018

    I'm confused. This looks like a retaining fence to me, not a wall. And it looks like a public safety issue.

    I have never had such an experience as yours, but, given that if that all falls down on your house people could be injured or die, I'd be making calls to lawyers and public safety people, local govt., state and federal govt. and calling newspapers and tv stations for coverage.

    If the whole lot collapses, you will have established a foundation on which to sue everybody in sight. Your local governing board needs to know about this, then up the food chain.

    What state/city are you located in?

    How did you get a mortgage with this--what to me looks like inadequate protection in place?

    Here's hoping Betty's links are helpful.

    • See 1 previous
    • Roy Holland Roy Holland on Sep 29, 2018

      It could possibly be a city problem! Maybe a water line leak? Maybe it is time to speak to an attorney about the city responsibility. If the street is caving in and your property is affected, you may have a good case for recourse! Bad deal either way you go. Good luck.

  • Jan Clark Jan Clark on Sep 17, 2018

    I would consult a lawyer NOW. Usually they'll do a short consult for free. You have an easement with the city and deeds require that each party keep up their share so that no property or people are damaged. That said, you may need to have a proper retaining wall installed. The steel beams are too far apart and wood will not hold with that kind of pressure. (Think retaining walls on the sides of a highway.) You'll need a professional company to do this for you. With any luck, the municipality will either give you free permits or something. Acts of nature aside, they didn't build their street with a proper foundation. The burden should not fall completely on you.

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Dec 23, 2020

    It is a city problem you should contact them!

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Sep 12, 2021

    Call your Buildings Insurance Company, Subsidence!! Sue the City for damage to your property!