Tips for keeping my house cool in the summer?

+2
  • Whitney Whitney on May 29, 2017
    Keep blinds closed and close curtains (only thing is it will make it gloomy from the loss of natural light), close air vents to rooms that are not in use and shut the door to those rooms. Make use of ceiling and/or box fans. Avoid using oven if possible. Use lights from lamps instead of overhead lights.

• Sallypass Sallypass on May 29, 2017
    Thermal shades and/or curtains help keep sunlight out and prevent your house from turning into a hot house. Getting thermal windows is another great step--for both summer and winter. Amazon sells towels that have a high rate of evaporation and help you stay cool.

• I close everything up and have a fan in every room and only use the light for the room I am in. Do not use stove, washer, dryer, dishwasher during heat of day. If it cools down, then I open up every door and window in the house and let the cool air in. I also had attic fans installed, really helps keep the heat out, keep the a/c bill down and will extend the life of my roof.

• 2dogal 2dogal on May 30, 2017
    Open as many windows as you feel comfortable with at night. Try to get a cross breeze. The house will cool down at night. Early in the morning close everything up.
    If you can shade the windows from the outside it's better than drapes as the hot air is getting in through the glass and will dissipate into the room even with thermal drapes. Look up window sun screens on-line if you can afford them. Not too expensive. Plant trees!!
    Attic fans do help. Hot air rises so keeping an upstairs window cracked will create a chimney effect.
    Room/window air conditioners have come a long way towards cooling and being quieter.

• Sharon Sharon on Jun 07, 2017
    You can add reflective window film to reduce heat absorption into the house. Try amazon or Tap Plastic. Buy the cling type you just add to a wet window and smooth out with a squeegee.
    I also like to add a fan in one of the windows to blow cool air in during night and early morning, and another fan to exhaust hot air out on the other side of the room. Creates a cross-breeze.
    A ceiling fan that can be reversed will help draw out hot air to the attic, and if you have an attic fan that exhausts the hot air will help too.
    If you have hard surfaces on the south-facing and east-facing sides of your house, that can radiate heat into your house. Consider removing and adding dirt and plants to cool those passive solar generators.