What is this fungus growing in my shower?

+9

is this dangerous fungi? Will have to replace the whole wall?

q what is this fungus growing in my shower
  • There is probably a good amount of mold behind that wall. You will need to remove it and treat the mold problem. Here's a link:

https://aerindustries.com/blog/2019/06/17/mold-inside-walls/

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor 4 days ago

Hello. It looks like there’s obvious decay going on behind that crack. I would suggest looking into the situation for correction to catch the rot in the present situation now versus letting it progress and cause increased damage for an unaddressed problem.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec 4 days ago

There is probably mold or fungus behind your wall and it is coming out. The wall will have to come down to assess the amount of it. For that job I would get someone in who has done mold remediation to evaluate and recommend what to do.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY 4 days ago

I agree with Ann, if its this bad on the surface the wall behind the crack is deteriorating and needs to be replaced.

• William William 4 days ago

All mold is dangerous. Darker mold is the most harmful. Mold generally grows from inside out. The walls will need to be removed to see how bad the mold problem is and how much damage there is to replace.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law 4 days ago

It’s difficult to see in the photo but it may be rot. Either way, you will want to cut out the dark area at least.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A 4 days ago

seems there has been a leak and now the mold is growing through the cracks- unless you know what is going on behind that wall, you really can't fix it

maybe get a couple free estimates to see what professionals have to say then you will know what you are dealing with

• Betsy Betsy 4 days ago

Hi Rob: Looks like that is the least of your problems. It may be that there is some decomposition of the wood behind the wall. I'd grab my face mask, put on some rubber gloves and have at it, tearing the wall covering down. Don't have a fan on as that will blow the mold, or whatever is going on behind there, all around, giving it a foothold in other places. Since the wall covering is cracked, you need a new one, or put up green board and paint the area. Anyway, that's my opinion.

Good luck

• Mogie Mogie 4 days ago

Time to give the pros a call. You don't want to play around with mold. Bet there is some scary stuff behind this.

• Dee Dee 3 days ago

That stuff looks alarming. There is definitely something going on behind that wall. You may even have termites eating at that decay. I would get a contractor out to look at it. You do not want to be breathing those spores into your lungs. You are probably going to have to take several tiles off to see what is behind it. You may have to get the entire shower redone.

• Annie Annie 2 days ago

That doesn't look good. You really need to rip that wall out. And then fix whatever the problem is.

Is that a tub enclosure there? Or a tile wall?

• I would really have someone take out that wall and see what is going on behind it. Plus, you'll want to have that crack fixed anyway since it is open to the shower.