Bulbs for outdoor post light

I just bought a house that has a post light out in the front yard, It doesn't have any bulbs in it but the sockets where the bulbs go look strange, it almost looks as if it would use a bulb that you would put in a cars headlight or tail light. Not the typical decorative bulb. Does anyone have any idea what kind it would be? It is a hard wired post too if that helps. I wasn't able to get a picture of it but any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you :)
  8 answers
  • Nstrasser1 Nstrasser1 on Jun 09, 2017
    Just a guess? Could it be a spotlight like you get at regular home improvement stores or hardware stores?

    • Nikki Nikki on Jun 09, 2017
      I really am not sure, from the size of the 2 little bulb sockets they would have to be very small. And the sockets actually look like a bulb would have to just stick in the socket like a plug or a headlight bulb it doesn't look like it screws in like a regular bulb does. its so strange. I hate to have to have it unwired just to take it to the home improvement store with me but i might have to lol At first I thought it could have been gas but it isn't but that is what the sockets look like.

  • Dmotan Dmotan on Jun 09, 2017
    Sounds like an Halogen bulb. Could be a 120 volt MR16 frosted flood reflector with a GU10 Base. Just be sure what you get is for outside. When putting in, do not touch the lamp.

  • Kauai Breeze Kauai Breeze on Jun 09, 2017
    Take a picture of the socket and take it to your local hardware store. They can identify what type of bulb it takes.

  • Judy Judy on Jun 09, 2017
    It sounds like a Appliance Bulb, tho this sounds crazy. But if it is that small, it may be. I would look into a Mercury lite, then this will light up at dusk, and off in the morn. This would be great for this. Talk to a hardware clerk, and I am sure he/she can help you., or give more directions., or there maybe info that came with the lamp about the size of the bulb to use. Best wishes, J.

  • Jeni Ann Jeni Ann on Jun 09, 2017
    Sounds like a halogen bulb.

  • Nstrasser1 Nstrasser1 on Jun 09, 2017
    Gee I've never run into anything like that. May be you could take pictures with your phone and check when you get to Home Depot or Lowes or some place like that. I'd be interested so let me know what you find out. Can't be solar??? Only reason I ask is because of you saying it looks like you just stick the lights into the sockets. Have a good evening. I'm off to work in the yard.

  • Patricia Halstead Jude Patricia Halstead Jude on Jun 09, 2017
    If there is a regular hardware store in your town, I suggest you photograph & measure the socket. Take this to the store & ask if they can identify it. Often, the "old-fashioned" hardware stores' employees are more knowledgeable about unusual items. Good Luck!!

  • Tedde Lowry Best Tedde Lowry Best on Jun 09, 2017
    Try candelabra bulbs for size.....like the kind that would be used inside a hanging fixture in living room or kitchen etc..they sound similar to what we have in the rental we are in .